Tuesday 26 October 2010

I'm on my way

?????? ?????The first day of my trip began at sunrise on the 25th October as I landed at Kuala Lumper airport to wait for a couple of hours before flying on to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).

What a fitting start to my trip to see the sun rise in that milky, humid S.E. Asian sky.

I had plenty of time to kill at KL airport, so I wandered around with my camera grabbing some photos.

I also had a conversation with a lady called Sophie who was sitting across the aisle from me on my flight from Perth and was then also waiting for my same flight to Saigon.
In a broad Australian accent she told me how she was born in Vietnam in 1973 during the war, but was evacuated out of the country while just a baby.  She was then adopted by an Australian and English couple and brought up in Perth.  She is now 37 years old, and this was her first visit back to Vietnam.  She was going to try to search for her home village and family.
In the chaos of the Vietnam war, many of the records of such evacuations were incomplete or simply wrong, so there was no guarantee she could ever know where she was born or anything about her biological family.
It was an amazing story, and made my own trip seem fairly trivial in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment